Keep Your Home Warm and Stay Safe in the Process

January 23, 2018 9:54 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

There are several ways to heat your home this winter, including using a home heating system, space heater or fireplace. No matter which method you choose, the important thing is to be on top of fire safety. What follows are some safety tips for keeping your home warm and avoiding costly heating system repair in Oregon City, OR.

Schedule regular furnace maintenance

If you live in a cold climate, then you don’t want to experience home heating system problems anytime during the chilly winter months. From fires to gas leaks to frigid indoor temperatures, a malfunctioning heater can be hazardous to you, your family and your property. It is for this reason that you need to make sure you schedule appointments for regular HVAC maintenance. A professional will clean your equipment of buildup that could cause fires and check that everything is working correctly.

Replace the air filter

Your home’s air filter is the thing that catches airborne mold spores, dust, pet dander, pollen and other indoor air pollutants so you don’t breathe them in. If the filter is dirty or clogged, then it cannot do its job efficiently. It may even cause your furnace to overheat and catch fire. To ensure your heating system does not overwork itself, make sure to change the filter every three months, depending on the HVAC equipment you have and the type of filter, or according to manufacturer recommendation.

Test detectors

To ensure your safety from carbon monoxide leaks, an HVAC professional will check carbon monoxide levels during your maintenance appointment. You should also test your home carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors at least twice a year to ensure they are functioning properly. These devices are designed to alert you should your furnace leak gas or catch fire. Don’t forget to change the batteries in all detectors—the pros recommend you change them every six months.

Clear the space around the furnace

When you use the fireplace, you likely make sure there is nothing flammable nearby that could catch on fire; you should do the same for the space around your heating equipment. You might be wondering how the equipment can be a fire hazard. If left too close to your heating unit, certain items or debris could catch fire or melt. Such items include paper, cardboard, wood, clothing and gasoline.

Be careful using other sources of heat

You might decide to use portable space heaters or the fireplace to give your heating system a rest. Space heaters can quickly warm up a room, but make sure to place them in a safe spot away from curtains and where they can’t tip over, as well as a safe distance from pet bedding and other things that could catch on fire. Keep space heaters on flat surfaces and avoid leaving them unattended. Before using your fireplace, make sure the chimney is clean and free of hazardous buildup. Use a screen to block flying sparks, wait until the ashes are cold before disposing of them and never leave a fire unattended.

For more tips and quality heating system maintenance in Oregon City, OR, call the team at L & J Heating & Cooling!

Categorised in: ,

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *